Thursday, July 2, 2015

Fare Thee Well
Celebrating the Grateful Dead's tour!

The Grateful Dead final concerts are exciting news. Who wouldn't want to be at those shows? Getting tickets seemed almost impossible let alone backstage passes!

I decided to submit my own decorated envelope containing ideas for Backstage Passes. The passes would all connect just like my passes from the 1990's!

What fun it would be if the Band decided to use the ideas...but unfortunately just like the audio cassette and vinyl records, the use of backstage passes has had it's day and are replaced by wrist bands. 
That's Rock n Roll for ya!

Below are the sketches that I proposed to the band starting with the mailing envelope and continues with all the artwork.

I decided to make the sketches available in my Etsy Store for purchase as posters. 

ETSY STORE: Click here to purchase:

I plan of releasing the final art as limited edition collectible posters in the next few weeks. 

So please check back and collect them all!

Do you have a favorite pass?
If so, you can purchase Limited Edition Passes from the 
POP International Gallery in Soho, New York

http://www.popinternational.com/grateful-dead---art-by-tony-reonegro--roberto-rabanne.html

Enjoy the shows!

REONEGRO

Mailing Envelope:  
Sent to the Grateful Dead...pretty LARGE!











The Backstage Pass Sketches: 
"Birth of Venus"

The first idea I had was to take The Birth of Venus (Botticelli) and make it into three connecting Grateful Dead backstage passes.

Venus had two aspects: She was an earthly goddess who aroused humans to physical love or she was a heavenly goddess who inspired intellectual love in them. It reminds me of the love the fans have for the Grateful Dead.

I also liked the idea that Venus is arriving on shore. I draped her with the American flag to represent July 4th. I also placed Jerry's guitar in the hand of the angel as that he is here in spirit.  Soldier Stadium is in the background with the Chicago skyline.











 The second idea: 
Washington Crossing the Delaware
Using the famous painting of George Washington Crossing the Delaware, 1851 by Manuel Gottlieb Leutze. I chose this piece for the concert date of 4th of July and for the venue where they are performing.  Each pass would be a separate color of Red, White and Blue.  All of the men in the boat are musicians on their way to play.  I also used vintage American instruments to represent the holiday weekend.














No comments:

Post a Comment